top of page
Resources > ID Needs >  Government Issued ID


  • You must be at least 16 years of age to obtain a driver’s license in Manitoba, or 15 ½ if you are registered in Driver Z, Manitoba’s high school driver education program.

  • A Class 5 license allows you to drive passenger vehicles and light trucks (cars, SUVs and pickups). It’s the most common type of license in Manitoba.

For more info, visit:



Birth certificates are issued in the applicant's birth name unless a legal change of name has occurred. They may be requested to contain or not contain parents names. 

Visit the government of Manitoba website for more information on birth certificates:


​The Manitoba Health Card is printed on a white paper card and has purple and red print, and includes the previous 6-digit family or single person’s registration number, name and address of Manitoba resident, family member’s given name and alternate (if applicable), sex, birthdate, effective date of coverage, and 9-digit Personal Health Identification Number (PHIN).

To register for one, visit:



A Canadian passport is a travel document that Canadian citizens can use to travel the world. To apply for a passport, you need to be a Canadian citizen. To get a passport, you’ll need to (1) fill out an application, (2) get your supporting document and passport photos, (3) Find a guarantor and 2 references and, (4) find out how to submit your application and fees

Apply for a Canadian Passport


To work in Canada or access government programs and benefits, you need a 9-digit number known as a Social Insurance Number (SIN).

Your SIN is private and it is illegal for anyone else to use it. You are responsible for protecting your SIN.

Service Canada is responsible of issuing SINs, which comes in a paper format (Confirmation of SIN letter). If you have a plastic SIN card that has not expired, it is still valid.

Apply for a Social Insurance Number


Do you need support with navigating these service systems?

Citizen's Bridge can assist you with acquiring Canadian birth certificates and assisting in the process of other identifications, such as MPI photo ID cards, SCIS cards, MMF cards, bank accounts, and driver licences. Its mission is to assist individuals with identification procurement, open bank accounts, financial literacy workshops, and driver education course (CB does not produce photo ID of any kind). 

Thrive Community Support Circle offers free assistance issuing an official document(s) to record a person’s birth, including such identifying data as name, gender, date of birth, place of birth, and parentage.

Visit their website:

If you reside outside of the Winnipeg area and require a registration form please email Cory at or call our office at 204.772.9091.

Ask any Futures Forward staff member to refer you to these program.

bottom of page